TÜV SÜD America is a technical inspection company that provides third-party safety testing, inspection, and certification services. In 2010, TÜV SÜD America began to administer the International Play Equipment Manufacturers Association (IPEMA) third-party certification for U.S. and Canadian play equipment and U.S. public play surfacing materials when they bought the certification test activities from Detroit Testing Laboratory, Inc.1
Besides testing children’s playground equipment, TÜV SÜD America, through their Consumer Product Services division, tests and certifies children's products, children's furniture, and infant care articles as well as battery-powered toys, conventional toys, and children's ride-on vehicles according to national and global safety standards.2
The German Technischer Überwachungsverein (TÜV) began in the 1870s as a steam boiler inspection association. As independent and regional associations grew, TÜVs expanded in the 1900s to include inspecting electrically powered devices, elevators, diesel engines, sprinkler systems, and hydroelectric power plants. As technology advanced even further, TÜVs added the motor vehicle industries, transportation industries, and the nuclear energy industry. In Germany, the TÜV certification meant “public safety, quality, and environmental protection.”3
By the early 1990s, in order to compete with other national and international inspection agencies, TÜV Bayern joined with TÜV Hessen and TÜV Sachsen to create TÜV Bayern Holding AG. In 1997, they joined with TÜV Südwest to become TÜV Süddeutschland Holding AG, one of the largest TÜV companies in Europe.4 Later, in 2004, they changed their name to TÜV SÜD AG.
TÜV SÜD America, a subsidiary of TÜV SÜD AG, was founded in 1987 and serves businesses in America, Canada, and Mexico. Headquartered in Peabody, Massachusetts, they have grown to include industrial services, auditing services, medical services, and testing services as well as programs concerning new or refurbished equipment, renewables, risk solutions, and PetroChem inspections.5
For companies expanding into the global marketplace, TÜV SÜD America provides both individual country safety certification and international testing necessary for accessing the global market, gaining acceptance internationally, and improving their products.6
- 1. “Detroit Testing Laboratory, Inc. Sells Certification Testing Activity.” Detroit Testing Laboratory, Inc. < http://www.dtl-inc.com/pdfs/press/detroit_testing_laboratory_inc_certification_sale.pdf > 15 Sep. 2011.
- 2. “Playground and Toys Safety.” TÜV SÜD America. < http://tuvamerica.com/industry/consumer/toys.cfm > 5 Aug. 2011.
- 3. “TÜV SÜD America Inc. Company History.” TÜV SÜD America. < http://tuvamerica.com/aboutus/history.cfm > 5 Aug. 2011.
- 4. Ibid.
- 5. “Core Services.” TÜV SÜD America. < http://tuvamerica.com/services/emcompat.cfm > 11 Sep. 2011.
- 6. “Consumer Product Services.” TÜV SÜD America. < http://tuvamerica.com/industry/consumer.cfm > 5 Aug. 2011.