Based in Houston, Texas, Adventure Playground Systems is a commercial playground designer and equipment manufacturer that believes in “enhancing children's learning through play.”1 They believe that “outdoor playgrounds should be viewed as interactive social and learning centers, where children can expand their horizons by developing their cognitive, imaginative and motor skills.”2
James Contreras, a manufacturer of metal furniture, decided to move into the commercial playground manufacturing field in 1997. By designing with a tab system instead of a clamp system, he simplified the installation of panels and created a different look.3
The Adventure Playground System's designers have completed the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) course.4 They have created outdoor play systems, soft play systems, early childhood systems, skate parks, splash pads, fitness equipment, stand alone structures, and Iron Kids structures.5 Additionally, they offer two systems to block UV rays: shade canopies over play equipment and shelters for gathering areas. For surfacing they provide poured-in-place, tile, artificial turf, and loose fill options.
- 1. “Adventure Playground Systems.” The Vendor Guide. November/December 2000.
- 2. “About Us.” Adventure Playground Systems. < http://www.adventureplaysystems.com/about-us.php > 19 Jan. 2011.
- 3. Hunter, Jeff. “Buying A Playground Can Be An Adventure.” Today's Playground. May 2001: 15.
- 4. Op.cit., “Adventure Playground Systems.”
- 5. “Play Equipment.” Adventure Playground Systems. < http://www.adventureplaysystems.com/play-systems.php?ID=1 > 15 Feb. 2012.